Groves is a city in Jefferson County, Texas, United States. The population was 15,733 at the 2000 census. A July 1, 2010 U.S. Census Bureau estimate placed the population at 16,144. It is part of the Beaumont–Port Arthur Metropolitan Statistical Area. A post office was established in 1927 and a school opened in 1929. A public library opened the following year. The community rapidly developed as a stop on the Kansas City Southern Railway. The Atlantic Refinery began operating in 1936. In 1940, a public water system was installed in the community. Several civic organizations, including the Lions Club, Chamber of Commerce, and Volunteer Fire Department were formed during the 1940s. By the early 1950s, Groves had an estimated population of 1,300. In 1952, residents of the community voted 1,079-262 in favor of incorporating Groves as a city. Rapid population growth followed, surpassing 17,000 in the 1960 census and reaching 18,067 by 1970. During the remainder of the twentieth century, the number of residents slowly declined. In 2000, Groves was the fourth-largest city in Jefferson County, after Beaumont, Port Arthur, and Nederland.
The City of Groves is served by the Port Neches-Groves Independent School District. Groves Middle, Van Buren, Taft elementary, and Groves elementary. The Lamar University system is in nearby Beaumont. Post-secondary educational opportunities are provided to the city of Groves and surrounding areas by the main campus of Lamar University, Lamar Institute of Technology, Lamar State College at Port Arthur, and Lamar State College at Orange. The City of Groves Public Library at 5600 West Washington Boulevard serves Groves.